Small pleasures are a lovely reminder that life can be good. So, here are some of my small pleasures of the day.
1. Cool showers with rose-scented products. The pleasure of a cool shower in the hot weather is incredible, and increases by at least ten points when my cats sit on the rug next to the shower and I can sing (loudly) to (at) them.
2. Listening to Lana Del Rey - Young and Beautiful. It's such a gorgeous song, and makes me want to see The Great Gatsby even more. I've loved Baz Luhrmann since Strictly Ballroom and we've always had an easy relationship (even during Australia - which I know pretty much EVERYONE hated). I also adore, unwaveringly, Lana Del Rey (again, a pretty unpopular opinion right now).
3. Magical Day Dream. I've only just discovered Marielle's blog, and I want to live in it. It's a beautifully vibrant place full of positivity and goodness.
4. Good books. After an epically good car boot sale I came home with Charlaine Harris' Shakespeare collection, 16 Lone Wolf manga books, some Game of Thrones books and Gone Girl. My lovely husband brought me home Lauren St John's White Giraffe and Jessica Marquis' Raising Unicorns. So, my To Read pile is pleasingly massive. I also recently reorganised my manga bookcase (alphabetically - because I am anal about these things...) and it makes me happy to look at it.
5. Knitting. This is a constant on my happiness lists, but it is possibly the thing I love the most. It keeps me busy when all I want to do is flop on the sofa, it helps me express creativity and, of course, gives me special finished products. I've flitted through hobbies over the years, but I think I found a soulmate in knitting.
6. Incense. There's something about the heavy-scented smoke of incense floating through the thick, hot air.
7. Loving gestures from Rob. I may be slightly biased when I tell you this...but, my husband is the best. I know I'm not the easiest person to live with, I go a bit batshit when I take my pain medication, I stay up until 4am watching Xena, Jezza Kyle and Storage Hunters, I take up a quarter of our living space with yarn, and another quarter with books and I'm the GRUMPIEST person ever in the morning (after a night spent chatting away in my sleep), but Rob is always there for me. He fills my life with love, and is always willing to make life easier for me.
8. Karen and Keshia. I'm exceptionally fond of all of the LBLC members, but a special love-in has to happen for these two ladies. They have stuck by me during hard times, are my wisest counsel and can always make me laugh when I am miserable. They are a support network that I can always rely on, and can always discuss nail polish with, without them giving me death glares when I tell them I just bought another 10 polishes)....also, nail polish.
9. Flowers blooming in my garden. I'm so exceptionally happy that a massive portion of the flowers I raised from seeds are now at their blousey, bloomy best. It makes me feel alive to sit in the garden with the fat smell of honeysuckle, jasmine, lupins, sweetpeas and snapdragons in the air.